Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Just two brothers walking home...

An innocent man was taken off life support early this morning, after a brutal beating with a baseball bat. He was attacked as he walked arm in arm with his brother and was presumed gay. His attacker shouted racial and gay slurs as he savagely struck him with the bat. This attack happened about 13 blocks from where I live, and it's very scary to know that there are people living close to me that would do such a thing. I sometimes walk hand in hand with my girlfriend, and most mornings we kiss as we part ways. Sometimes we get dirty looks, or hear the sucking of teeth, but we just ignore it.

I think people in this world are going nuts. You have to be some kind of animal to hate someone so much that you would take a bat to their head, while they scream and beg for mercy. The thought of the bat hitting his flesh and bone, the sound, the thud... I don't know how a human being could inflict that kind of pain on another human being.

Why should his parents have to grieve for their son? Why did his brother have to witness such a thing? The images surely replaying over and over in his head. Why did he have to die? It makes me so angry.

0 comments :