Friday, March 20, 2009

I promised myself I wouldn't do this...

But damnit, it's my blog!

Do you love animals? Of course you do!
Do you love the circus? Of course you do!
I know you are probably saying to yourself, "Well these are silly questions Vanessa, who doesn't love the circus?"

I will tell you who doesn't love the circus...

THE ANIMALS!

The animals that can't speak for themselves and say:
I don't want to do this.
I want to retire.
Stop hurting me.
You're scaring me.
I miss my home.
Please let me go home.

We do what we want to animals because they can't communicate their feelings the way we do.

The following is an email I received from PETA. Please watch the undercover footage (link at the bottom of email).

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, the "cruelest show on Earth" is coming to New York, and we need your help to raise awareness about the cruelty and violence that go on behind the scenes at the circus. When Ringling is in your town, it’s up to kind people like you to let Ringling know that this cruel show is not welcome!

Experts, eyewitnesses, and video footage prove that physical abuse is standard practice for training elephants in circuses. Ringling’s trainers have been observed hitting and jabbing elephants, including babies, with sharp steel-tipped rods called "bullhooks." We know that Ringling causes pain and suffering to animals, but we must share this with others so that they, too, will boycott the circus.

We hope that you will take some time out of your busy schedule to join local activists for these exciting and important demonstrations:

What: Ringling demonstrations
When: Thursday, March 26, 6 p.m. (opening night)
Saturday, March 28, 10 a.m., 2:15 p.m., and 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 29, 10 a.m., 2:15 p.m., and 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 1, 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 5, 10 a.m., 2:15 p.m., and and 6:30 p.m.
Friday, April 10, 10 a.m. and 2:15 p.m.
Saturday, April 11, 10 a.m., 2:15 p.m., and 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 12, 2:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
Monday, April 13, 2:15 p.m.
Where: Madison Square Garden (7th Avenue entrance), 4 Penn Plz., New York

All materials will be provided. If you have any questions about the demonstrations, please contact me at DavidS@peta.org. For more information on this campaign, to learn what former employees say about Ringling, and to view PETA's videos showing behind-the-scenes training, please visit Circuses.com.

We're in this fight together, and we couldn't do it without you. We're grateful that you're part of our A-Team, and we encourage you to take full advantage of the network by contacting us any time with questions, requests, or concerns. Thanks so much for everything that you do for animals!

For animals,

David Salisbury, Assistant Activist Liaison
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
DavidS@peta.org


Undercover Video

2 comments :

  1. Barbara said...

    ::Stands up and claps hands::

    I haven't been down with the circus ever since I gain a deeper understanding of the "freak show". Its the same thing these days, they've just replaced the humans with animals!!

  2. sudharm baxi said...

    Fully agree with you Vanessa..

    Men is certainly the meanest, ugliest, cruelest animal on this planet. Only for the sake of his entertainment, he enrages the animals to perform like anything, make them fight and whatnot.

    Please please have some mercy all my fellow human beings, these animals have some rights of their own, just that they can't defend themselves against our utter FOOLISHNESS.